061 Pat Burke: Seven inch summer growth spurts, the power of words, guarding MJ, and words of wisdom from Steve Nash.
Our guest is nothing if not passionate about the sport he has made his career. As the only Irish born NBA ever he shares the story of how he came to play basketball after an initial love of hockey. A 7 inch growth spurt somewhat ruined
that dream as did the powerful, and negative, words of his first high school coach. Things would change as his family would move to a new state, playing for a new coach. Hard work and a journeyman’s attitude would pay off in college and playing overseas and he shares an unlikely story of running in to some ex teammates who didn’t believe he was a starting center in the NBA. A great storyteller, our guest shares some amazing stories from his career as well as what his legacy might be leading young athletes today. Plug those earphones in and go for a shoot around for today’s first NBA athlete on the Athlete On Fire show!
In This Show We Hear
- How he started playing
- How many inches he grew in one summer
- How he turned it around after his family moved to Florida
- His story about guarding Michael Jordan
- Why words are so powerful and empowering, and not
- The quote inspired from European league traveling
- How Steve Nash inspired him
- 3 mental tips for performance
- Why quantifying is so important
- He is the only ____ in the history of the NBA
- His hockey uniform story
Quote on Fire
“Getting better every day.”
Quiz on Fire
We ask him the best player he played against at every level.
Connect With Pat
You have to quantify your efforts.
Book on Fire:
Resources mentioned during the show:
Fitness On Fire: Pat
Listen to his challenge on the show: 4 quarters. 8 minutes playing hard. 5 minutes hard in the weight room. Repeat 4 times.
Links coming soon(FOF is going through a redesign)!