In this episode our guest takes us on a life long journey with the sport he loves. He comes from a long line of speed skaters and shares his passion with all of us from some of his brutal workouts to what kind of focus it takes to see through a plan for four years.
In this show learn about:
- What age he started speed skating
- How he grandpa AND dad found love on the ice
- What his max and average speed is on the ice
- How big around his quads are
- Why he was rockin’ the skinny jeans before they were cool
- About his training schedule
- How missing the Vancouver Olympics affected him
- How he mentally divides the race
- How much detail was put into his competing uniform
“ I keep doing it for the love of the sport and the strive every day to be better than the last.”
- Consistency- He delves into what 4 years of focus looks like.
Quote on Fire:
- “Talent means nothing.”
“If you think you can do something, you probably can.”
Books on Fire:
Connect with Pat Meek:
“Speedskating is the most beautiful sport when it’s done right.”
Athlete on Fire resources inspired by Patricks’s interview:
Olympic Site– You can learn about Pat and the rest of Team USA here.
“The toughest workouts are puke and rally Tuesday’s.”
Patrick has a challenge for you all to try out next time you run, ideally while you listen to his show.