Why you need to go on an Adventure today.
Not all adventures are created equally but the habit of adventure needs to be trained. Are you bored with your routine? Is your training lacking inspiration? Do you crave just leaving to travel but financially or logistically it just isn’t possible right now?
Well, you and about 98% of the everyone have just been defined.
My grandfather told me this one day when I was about 10, I’ll never forget it and I still quote it to my boys and friends all the time.
If you pass up a penny on the ground what’s to say you won’t pass up a hundred dollar bill?
Adventure: The habit
It’s a habit. A way of not passing up opportunities. Opportunities that are free mind you. I would even go on to say that if someone lost something and misses it, we should value it for them.
Bring this concept over to the idea of adventure. Adventure is defined in a million ways. Here are a couple
For this post:
- something you rarely, if ever, do
- an undertaking to take you out of your comfort zone
- to experience
Pennies v. dollars
So if pulling your car over on the way home from work to run at a park or trail you never stopped for before is a penny, then accepting an offer from a friend to go on a weekend trip to the mountains you have never been to is the hundred dollar bill.
Let’s brainstorm some adventures
Adventure is everywhere. Let’s use the definitions “for this post” to come up with a few adventures. There are millions so we can just name a few to get your creative juices flowing.
something you rarely, if ever, do
- stop at a certain park or trail
- get up super early or stay out super late for a trek, or even a walk around a different part of town
- take guitar lessons
- run the stairs where you work on your break
an undertaking to take you out of your comfort zone
- visiting a home for senior citizens and going for walks
- training for a marathon, or triathlon, or anything new to YOU
- start a hobby business
- podcast, or write, or start a youtube channel (trust me on this one)
- try a new treatment like acupuncture or hot stone therapy
- take a funky new or intimidating class like pilates, mma, or crossfit
- go to a show at a community theatre
- shop at an asian market or somewhere different to you
So these adventures. These are the pennies. The low hanging fruit for wannabe adventurers. We are strengthening the muscle that will eventually say, “What the hell, let’s go to Vietnam,” or “yeah, I can quit this job and start this business.”
“What the hell, let’s go to Vietnam,” or “yeah, I can quit this job and start this business.”
Go on an adventure today. Come on, you see how we define adventure. Start training for the big ones with some little and probably, just as memorable ones. I’d love to hear what you come up with. Just tag #aofadventure or reach out @athleteonfire on FB or Twitter.
AOF:184 An ultra runner named Jeffrey and his bus named Earl.
Jeffrey James Binney is a comedian, actor, and now, ultra runner. Why does he intend on living in a bus? […]Read More ›
AOF:172 "The Mountains Are Calling and I Must Go."
On The Show Our guest is a world renowned author and alpinist with a different take on a similar story […]Read More ›