055 John Dennis: Challenge: “Wait until you feel your worst, then get out and run.”
Our guest is a world class ultra endurance athlete and he doesn’t even take the time to reach his potential because the work/life balance is so important to him. Coming from a single parent family his mom instilled a work ethic and love of family that has formed who he is today. He is a Team USA member with a gold medal from last years endurance World’s in the Netherlands. Oh, he day job is as a pyschologist and we are happy to poach some great mental tools and habits for performance. Learn who is inspiring him and why his daughter has some great genes to draw from. Another great episode of Athlete On Fire in the books!
In this show hear:
- Why he started running in Grad School.
- Which one of his parents inspires him every day
- Why he went straight from marathons to 100 milers
- A day in the life
- 3 reasons to run
- Why his wife should be on the show next
- How he uses short terms goals during races to finish
- His unique challenge for you, the listener
- Why he isn’t willing to train enough to reach a “potential”
- We poach for amazing mental prep from John the psychologist!
“Guess which one is John.”
- The ability to break down big things into small doable chunks.
Quote on Fire:
- ““You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face…do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Quiz on Fire:
- We take some time to get to know his four siblings. Pretty cool take.
Book on Fire:
Connect with John:
The Animal Camp
Fitness On Fire: John
Listen to his challenge on the show: John’s challenge is simple to go out and run hard when you aren’t feeling good for mental toughness.
Links coming soon(FOF is going through a redesign)!