033 Jeff Galloway: How to use your brain to run better, performance tips, and amazing storytelling from a legend.
Our guest is a former Olympian and current running liason to the masses. He shares how making the 1972 Olympic team changed his life in how he wanted to share the sport he loved with the world. He founded the first specialty running store in the US. He tells stories of his upbringing including a great one about his dad, Elliott Galloway, who ran his first marathon in under 3 hours around 60 years old. It’s an inspiring story for sure. He goes on to share the importance of mantra’s and how they force us back into our conscious mind, allowing us to keep the negative thoughts that always creep in during competition at bay. His humble, unique approach to teaching and coaching is going to inspire YOU to do amazing things yourself.
In this show hear:
- How running trails in Atlanta got him started
- 13 schools in 7 years
- The son of a headmaster, found of The Galloway School
- His dad’s amazing running story
- How he founded the first running specialty store
- Why you should run and walk for training
- The amazing Lasse Viren World Record story
- How things didn’t really click until his senior year
- The epic story of hitting the wall and what rule he broke
- The difference between world class athletes and the rest of us
“Most of us allow our subconscious brain to control us when we run.”
- He breaks down habits and skills for every athlete. It’s virtually a one on one coaching session with this episode. Amazing stuff. The one he attributes to his success as staying mentally focused
Quote on Fire:
- “I/You can do it.”
Quiz on Fire:
He teaches a run/walk method for runners. It reminded me of “red light/green light” so I quiz him on actual red lights and green lights. Fun stuff!
Book on Fire:
Connect with Jeff:
“I have to say, I violated my no puking rule that day.”
Resources mentioned during the show:
Fitness On Fire: Jeff
Coming soon(FOF is going through a redesign)!